Friday, November 7, 2014

Week 3 MFW Adventures: Jamestown, Pocohontas and WWJD



Week 3

Jamestown and Pocahontas



This week we created a Jamestown diagram. 



you can find this diagram HERE if you would like to recreate one with your studies, as well.
I love using diagrams and visuals to really bring everything full circle. I find it really helps us to step back into time and see more clearly what was happening. I do not think we can truly imagine what it must have been for these very first settlers here, but seeing this example all put together can certainly open our eyes to many things we might not have pictured when we read the history in these books... we did not end up putting this together the "correct way" but we had fun and got the basics down and that was what I intended so I am letting go of the rest. That is so hard for me, the letting go of doing things exactly like I saw or they were explained., but it needs to be done. This was meant to be a fun follow up. It was supposed to be extra and enjoyable and my job as both the teacher and the mommy was to remember that and not take away their love of learning. We can always build on joy.




that being said these books we read this week were wonderful... we could not put down Pocahontas. We ended up reading it all in one day. It is beautifully written and kept us wanting to devour page after page. It was fun to imagine us being there....


so much so that it was only natural that we needed some very simple costumes to explore with.




These outfits are not too special. I just used some felt we had leftover from other projects with a bit of feathers and cut a little here and sewed a little there and they were done. I want to stress that things like this do not need to be perfect, but if your children are like mine, they will adore them no matter any imperfection.... and they help get wiggly learners up and playing in between notebooking and reading.  It is not about how perfect our stitches are in our weekly efforts, but in the continuing to sew a love of learning.


Jesus
(name of God)

What Would Jesus Do?
This week the girls made WWJD bracelets. They were able to really think about what that meant and how to apply it to their daily lives. I loved seeing them challenged and more thoughtful this week!


This was the week the "honeymoon homeschool season" wore off. We were knee deep in books, and work, and laundry, and sickness. It is hard to keep up when you feel you are falling behind, but it is worth pressing through and even more worth letting go.
Let go of the pressure.
Let go of the worries
Let go of the unneeded and unnecessary.
The best weeks often teach me more than they teach my children.





you can check out our classroom reveal HERE
to give you a little more detail on where and what we are studying

1 comment:

Dawn said...

What an excellent week. We loved that Pocahontas book too.
Blessings, Dawncomments must be approved by the blog author.

Choose an identity